Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Closing Date: Until filled
Online Job Announcement
Quantum Spatial is seeking GIS Specialists to work onsite at a federal government client facility in Anchorage, AK. Primary responsibilities include research, identification and acquisition of specific datasets; developing data into geospatial layers which conform to defined national data standards, are topologically correct and are in accordance with FGDC and client metadata standards; and to ensure that all data are consolidated at the national level. Secondary responsibilities include performing quality control (QC), reporting, and metadata documentation. Only qualified candidates meeting the specific requirements below will be considered for these positions.
- Research, identify and acquire specific data from staff in order to develop those data into geospatial layers that conform to defined data standards, which are topologically correct and are documented in accordance with FGDC and agency metadata standards. Ensure that all state level data compilations roll up to national views.
- Utilize primary tools, to include ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMap), Enterprise Geodatabases (formerly SDE), and other geospatial software components that may vary by office.
- Convert all formats of data acquired into single, well documented geospatial files at a state or national level using a versioned enterprise geodatabase environment.
- Create a process and method for each dataset using versioned workflows such that geospatial data flows from various local office locations and rolled into national datasets using an existing national geodatabase replication process.
- Create and ensure client and FGDC standard metadata is associated with each geospatial file, using any one of the available edit programs.
- Prepare maps to demonstrate progress or to illustrate data complexities and issues.
- Assist client staff with data collection, consolidation, sharing and general data management activities. This may include: Identifying and acquiring data in native formats from various client offices. Priority data lists and methods will be provided, requiring exploring, searching, and documenting data via communication with a wide variety of client staff.
- Generate geospatial data, databases, analysis, maps, services and applications according to client standards or specifications. Document any development activities for future usage within the organization.
- Communicate workflows for data maintenance and quality improvements to field office and state office personnel.
- Communicate and work with an extended interdisciplinary team across the agency to ensure proper understanding of programmatic data elements, client-specific data standards and guidance for geospatial methods.
- Provide demonstrations and briefings for client staff on progress and results, and with client leadership for all aspects of the work.
- Prepare weekly status/progress reports.
- Participate in monthly/weekly conference calls and in-person meetings as scheduled.
- Attend trainings and orientation as scheduled.
- Periodic travel may be required.
- GeoData Acquisition and Compilation
- Geospatial Metadata Development
- Data Standards & Quality Assurance
- Communications and Tech Transfer
For complete details, please see the job announcement link above.