Position Type: Full-Time Exempt
Location: Palmer, AK
Closing Date: June 22, 2021 at 5:00 PM Alaska Time
Online Job Announcement
This position is responsible for managing the department's GIS functions. Work is performed and duties are carried out in accordance with established policies, procedures, and Borough core values: Accountability, Customer Focus, Dedication, Integrity, Responsiveness and Teamwork.
- Baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field. Post-secondary education or experience which provides the expertise required to perform effectively the functions of the position may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the occupational field, sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, including three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Alaska for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Completion of required Incident Command System (ICS) courses in accordance with established Borough policy.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the E911 site addressing program, including related GIS datasets; oversees E911 GIS data maintenance; oversees systems integration; maintains and utilizes specializes ArcGIS E911 site addressing extensions to ensure data quality.
- Manages the Borough cadastral program; oversees AutoCAD and ArcGIS technologies.
- Manages the analysis and cartography program in the acquisition, editing, maintenance and distribution of spatial data and in the creation of custom and published maps.
- Oversees and manages enterprise geospatial technology growth and upgrades.
- Manages the online viewers program.
- Provides analysis and mapping for the redistricting/reapportionment program.
- Manages division budget; approves purchase orders and budget adjustments; collaborates with Information Technology Director and others to identify funding needs and resources; prepares and justifies annual budget requests.
- Conducts market research on mature and emerging technologies.
- Establishes, implements and monitors division goals, objectives, policies and procedures; provides long-range GIS planning in alignment with department and Borough strategic initiatives.
- Represents the Borough and the department in interactions with local, state, regional, and national agencies; participates as a member of local and regional boards and councils; develops and maintains partnerships with other government entities, the business sector, community organizations, and local, state and federal officials.
- Hires, trains, assigns, schedules, directs, supervises, evaluates and disciplines personnel.
- Evaluates customer business needs and recommends appropriate technical solutions.
- Manage GIS-related projects.
- Provides oversight and functional direction of assigned contractor daily activities.
- Develops and maintains process documentation to ensure continuity of services and process improvement.
- Manages GIS/CAD related operations during emergency events under the Incident Command System.
- Ensures compliance with occupational safety and health regulations applicable to area of responsibility, including but not limited to: proper facilitation of Respiratory Protection Program; proper facilitation of Bloodborne Pathogens Program; proper use by and maintenance of personal protective equipment; Safety Data Sheet books, inspection reports, training records, and hazard documentation are maintained and up to date; preventive programs and corrective actions are properly implemented.
- Performs related duties.
To apply for this position, please complete and submit an application from the Online Job Announcement link above. For more information, contact Human Resources at 907-861-8404.