Position Type: Full-Time Temporary
Location: Varies (including Remote)
Closing Date: August 31, 2022
Online Job Announcement
The National Park Service is looking for the next cohort of GIS Interns! There are over 20 opportunities for students and recent graduates (within 2 years) to join the program, which is a partnership with Southern Utah University. This program allows interns to work at national park units and regional offices across the country to support geospatial projects and develop skills such as data management, cartography, mobile mapping, and programming. Each internship offers a unique experience and most opportunities include park housing or are approved for remote work. Internships begin in October and run for either 16 or 24 weeks. Hourly wages vary and range from $15-22.
There are 6 internships hosted by NPS Alaska Region:
- Alaska Regional Office GIS Team- GIS Data Management
- Alaska Regional Office Invasive Plant Management Team- GIS/Programming
- Alaska Regional Office Natural Resource Team- Remote Sensing
- Denali National Park and Preserve- GIS/Data Management/Mobile Mapping
- Yukon Charley Rivers National Preserve & Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve- Native Place Names Project/Cultural Resource GIS Data Management
- Yukon Charley Rivers National Preserve & Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve- Cultural Resource GIS Data Management/Mobile Mapping
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident. Applicants must also be enrolled at an institution of higher education or within two years post-graduation. Applicants who have obtained or are pursuing a GIS degree or certificate and/or with GIS work experience are preferred. Prior to starting this position, a federal government security background clearance will be required.
To apply for one or more of these internships, please complete and submit an application to the desired position(s) from the Online Job Announcement link above. For more information, contact details are available under each announcement.