Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Anchorage, AK
Closing Date: September 30, 2018
Online Job Announcement
Working under general supervision, the GIS Technician is responsible for the development, maintenance and accuracy of Geographic Information System (GIS) maps and data. This position provides GIS support for all departments.
- Performs tasks to create, edit or verify GIS and related data.
- Interprets construction and maintenance work from documentation or verbal direction to accurately update the GIS database in a timely manner. This includes, but is not limited to performing or verifying data entry, and/or editing, attributing, and developing data sets.
- Creates and updates GIS maps from notes, sketches, drawings, data files, GPS, or verbal direction except as defined in the GIS Specialist Grade 10 classification
- Verifies data following department Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures to ensure the creation and maintenance of accurate data including relationships and connectivity.
- Creates reports, maps, and extracts data by developing basic queries using query wizards or pre-defined queries.
- Performs GIS basic spatial analyses using existing tools and creates maps to illustrate results.
- Downloads, converts, and uploads GIS data available from internal or external sources for use. This includes coordinate system conversions, cataloging, inventorying, cleanup of GIS data, and metadata creation to the department standard.
- Ensures the plotter and scanner is operational by performing basic maintenance and loading paper or ink/pearls. Reports technical difficulties and supply needs to the Manager.
- Assists the GIS Specialist with testing GIS software enhancements, upgrades, and configurations according to a predefined test plan.
- Assists the GIS Specialist in creating or editing an existing web map except as defined in the GIS Specialist Grade 10 classification.
- Provides periodic status reports and write-ups of GIS activities.
- May assist in performing Grade 9 CAD editing duties.
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to proficiently and independently operate GIS software packages to perform the representative duties.
- Must have the ability to learn or do basic CAD editing. Some CAD experience or education preferred.
- Must be detail and accuracy oriented with strong mathematical skills.
- Ability to translate physical field plant work documentation to update GIS data and displays.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow QA/QC procedures.
- Must have the ability to create and run basic or pre-defined Structured Query Language (SQL) queries.
- Knowledge of the steps required to perform and display spatial analysis.
- Ability to create file-based geodatabases and design simple feature classes.
- Ability to import and export data to various formats.
- Ability to understand land-based coordinate systems.
- Must exhibit excellent English verbal and written communication skills with strong abilities in organization. Skilled in writing instructions, documentation and reports.
- Perform scanner/plotter/printer operation, maintenance.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office Suite products.
To apply for this position, please complete and submit an application from the Online Job Announcement link above.