Position Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Anchorage, AK
Closing Date: Until filled
Online Job Announcement
Owl Ridge is based in Anchorage, Alaska and was formed in 2012 as a small business enterprise to provide a full range of environmental consulting services for private sector, industry, and government clients. Our services include planning, permitting, field studies, and compliance. A scientist position at any level at Owl Ridge implies a broad use of the term in support of all aspects of our services that require analytical thinking and process management. Our expertise as a company is that we are experts at the broad understanding and management of process. A Scientist II/GIS Analyst will demonstrate the ability to incorporate analytical thinking and understanding of regulatory process into the deliverables required by our clients.
Requirements, Duties, and Responsibilities
- B.S./B.A. or higher education in GIS, Environmental Science, Biology, Geology, Resource Management, Environmental Engineering, or related discipline.
- Desired skills include data analysis, proficiency in mathematics, conducting research, strong written and verbal communication, problem solving, attention to detail, and proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access), MS Visio, and MS Project.
- 1-3 years experience.
- Implement and manage GIS aspects of Owl Ridge operations.
- Support project mapping and figure requirements as well as undertake independent GIS projects.
- Maintain GIS files in an organized manner and develop and implement appropriate GIS QA/QC procedures.
- Evaluate GIS software and hardware needs on a regular basis to keep operations up to date.
- Use and manage databases for a variety of purposes including lake and surface water data, GIS data, and data analysis.
- Increase knowledge and expertise with the ESRI ArcGIS software: ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcPro and ArcGIS Online.
- Understanding and application of geographic coordinate systems and projections.
- Strong cartographic skills.
- Fundamental understanding of data editing and spatial analysis.
- Basic understanding of public data sources employed for natural resource consulting.
- Understanding and knowledge of database design and implementation.
- Field data collection employing various instrumentation including GPS, ArcGIS Collector etc.
- Programming capabilities a plus but not required.
- Be familiar with relevant state and federal regulations.
- Prepare field studies program and sampling plans at direction of senior scientists.
- Evaluate and analyze data in support of project requirements.
- Support project management tasks as requested by senior staff.
- Understand the regulatory environment that drives the scientific and data needs of the project.
- Incorporate data in a clear and concise manner into regulatory documents.
- Support data compilation and reporting for compliance purposes.
- Have a high skill level with MS Office products and understand use of databases.
- Support systems management such as administrative record and SharePoint.
- Support Health and Safety reporting.
- Travel into the field to support Owl Ridge biological and hydrological investigations, including data collection.
- Identify and design systems and procedures as needed to make Owl Ridge more efficient and with greater deliverable quality.
To apply for this position, please complete and submit an application from the Online Job Announcement link above. For more information, contact Paul Cartier at 907-748-5665 or via email at email@example.com.