Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Closing Date: December 27, 2019 at 5:00 PM Alaska Time
This recruitment is open to Alaska residents only.
Online Job Announcement
The Division of Community and Regional Affairs (DCRA) is looking for a self-reliant, energetic and detail-oriented individual who is willing to independently provide advanced-level technical GIS and cartographic design expertise and training to facilitate publication of maps, graphics, reports, visual presentations, and digital data products resulting from analysis and synthesis of original field data collected by division.
Fulfilling this mission will involve acquiring, analyzing, and managing digital geospatial data, ultimately helping to create a comprehensive enterprise geodatabase; providing training and support to the division's GIS users; functioning as a liaison between DCRA and other entities' GIS users and data; managing and quality controlling data going into and out of the division's geodatabase.
At DCRA, we recruit employees who demonstrate a high level of initiative, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to adapt to a changing environment, and an interest in assisting local governments.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Independently designing, producing, and updating complex base maps and thematic data, using ArcGIS software as necessary;
- Training other users in developing geodatabases and high quality maps that meet the programmatic and divisional needs;
- Accessing and organizing data from external sources to ensure currency of spatial data library;
- Automating workflows and improving process efficiencies by creating models and/or scripts;
- Applying ArcGIS and AutoCAD software to independently gather data and for analyzing, managing and converting formats of digital data into interoperable formats;
- Serving as the administrator of the divisional enterprise server and geodatabase;
- Serving as the liaison between DCCED IT and the division in all issues related to the ArcGIS server architecture;
- Hosting data in the enterprise geodatabase in accordance with data standards and serving them out using apps or other effective medium;
- Reviewing metes and bounds descriptions as proposed by municipalities;
- Developing specific mapping and land suitability decisions for ANCSA planning using technical knowledge of land use and suitability;
- Managing land information system that geographically displays the title acquisition and land tenure of statewide Municipal Trust Land holdings;
- Preliminary scoping, contract review, quality control, storage, and distribution of digital mapping produced in DCRA's community profile mapping partnerships; and
- Responding to public information requests regarding the division´s programs and resources.
Our successful candidate will possess some or all of the following knowledge, skills and abilities. Please document your level of skill and/or experience with each item on this list in your separately attached professional cover letter. Applicants are not required to have experience in every area. If you do not have experience with a particular trait, simply say so:
- Ability to communicate clearly, verbally and in writing;
- Excellent analytical skills required to understand and communicate complex procedurally based systems;
- Fluency and currency in GIS technology such as ArcGIS and thorough understanding of geodatabase concepts;
- Technical knowledge in AutoCAD and in its interoperability with GIS technology;
- Technical knowledge in management of ArcGIS Server and enterprise geodatabase;
- Experience with land planning and management;
- Excellent ability to deal practically and effectively with others;
- Advanced skills in cartographic science, visual communications, color theory and graphic design; and
- Skills with public process and public meeting are critical.
For specific questions regarding this position, please contact the hiring manager, Melissa Taylor at at (907) 269-4540 or via email at email@example.com.