Position Type: Full-Time, Long-Term, Non-Permanent
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Closing Date: October 12, 2020 at 5:00 PM Alaska Time
This recruitment is open to Alaska residents only.
Online Job Announcement
The Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys (DGGS) is seeking a motivated and detail-oriented advanced GIS Analyst to perform important grant-funded work to continue development of an Alaska-wide GIS database of geologic information. The database uses an Alaska-pioneered, extended national data standard for geologic maps. DGGS’ in-development geologic map production system is of interest to other state geologic surveys and the U.S. Geological Survey. The position will also use programming to develop potentially high-profile GIS web applications and write scripts to streamline data management processes that may be distributed nationally. This position will be part of the DGGS Geologic Information Center (GIC) team and work with other GIS-focused staff to manage and distribute Alaska geologic data. This position is anticipated to last 1.5 years with the possibility of extensions through future grant funding.
The mission of the Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys is to determine the potential of Alaskan land for production of metals, minerals, fuels, and geothermal resources, the locations and supplies of groundwater and construction material, and the potential geologic hazards to buildings, roads, bridges, and other installations and structures (AS 41.08.020). The division views public geologic information as a key element in unlocking our natural resources, protecting communities, and helping grow Alaska's economy. Geologic Information Center (section) staff supports the dedicated scientists of DGGS who create geologic data to further the division’s mission.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the division’s geologic map production workflow, which is based on Geologic Map Schema (GeMS) and utilizes both ArcGIS Enterprise and PostgreSQL.
- Populate and maintain the content of the multi-map enterprise PostgreSQL geodatabase with published single-geologic-map geodatabases.
- Administer GIS data in the division’s enterprise multi-map and numerous single-map PostgreSQL geodatabases, ensuring GIS data quality and maintaining the map data archive.
- Perform programming tasks to develop and maintain web-based user interfaces to GIS resources, including the development of internal and public-facing map services and applications.
- Create and document map production workflow components, automations, and code.
The successful candidate will demonstrate or provide experience related to the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) and core competencies:
- Expert knowledge of ArcGIS Enterprise (ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Image Server), geodatabase administration, and PostgreSQL
- Speak and write effectively; provide advanced level training, technical support, and GIS-related professional development opportunities for division staff; work effectively with others
- Knowledge of geologic mapping and the Geologic Map Schema (GeMS) standard are not required, but are desired
- One year of professional experience equivalent to GIS Analyst II with the State of Alaska.
- OR A master's degree from an accredited college that includes either a GIS related concentration or a GIS certificate.
For specific questions regarding this position, please contact the hiring manager, Jennifer Athey at at (907) 451-5028 or via email at email@example.com.