Position Type: Full-Time, Long-Term, Non-Permanent
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Closing Date: December 2, 2020 at 5:00 PM Alaska Time
This recruitment is open to Alaska residents only.
Online Job Announcement
The Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Public Health is looking to recruit a highly motivated, goal-oriented individual. The work performed by this position is important and at times challenging. We are seeking applicants who demonstrate a high level of initiative, have excellent interpersonal skills, and those who enjoy a dynamic, changing work environment.
The mission of the Division of Public Health is to protect and promote the health of Alaskans. As a member of our team, you will contribute every day to the improvement of the health of Alaskans and their families.
The incumbent works in the admin unit for multiple sections within Public Health. We are currently supporting the COVID-19 response. The person will:
- Create dashboards and utilize Python scripting in ArcGIS Esri software, specifically Esri Online, and work with COVID Data Dissemination team to improve data upload and data dissemination efforts.
- Analyze and present spatial data through Esri software, including designing digital maps with geographic data using population data sets.
- Provides technical assistance in the application of GIS technology to create graphics and participate in surveillance activities important to public health practice, which includes analytic research and interpretation of information.
- Participates in daily team meeting and in surveillance, investigation, and analysis of this major public health issue with the COVID Data Dissemination team members.
- Participate in the daily update of the COVID-19 Data Response Hub, which periodically includes weekend updates and support for the data hub
Competencies that are desired/contribute to success in this position:
- Computer Skills: Uses computers, software applications, databases, and automated systems to accomplish work.
- Quality Assurance: Knowledge of the principles, methods, and tools of quality assurance and quality control used to ensure a product fulfills functional requirements and standards.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving: Uses a logical, systematic, and sequential approach to address problems or opportunities or manage a situation by drawing on one’s knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
- Planning and Evaluating: Organizes work, sets priorities, and determines resource requirements; determines short- or long-term goals and strategies to achieve them; coordinates with other organizations or parts of the organization to accomplish goals; monitors progress and evaluates outcomes.
- Self-Management: Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve; demonstrates responsible behavior.
- One year of professional experience equivalent to GIS Analyst II with the State of Alaska.
- OR A master's degree from an accredited college that includes either a GIS related concentration or a GIS certificate.
For specific questions regarding this position, please contact the hiring manager, Rosa Avila, Public Health Scientist at (907) 269-6936 or via email at email@example.com.